CALLUM SMITH still has ambitions to become a two-weight world champion and he knows one fight that can bring him closer to that goal.
Last week promoter Eddie Hearn said he wanted to make a big domestic fight for ‘Mundo’ in early 2025. And one name that keeps coming up is that of 2016 Olympic bronze medalist Joshua Buatsi.
Smith, 30-2 (22 KOs), got back to winning ways Saturday night with a fifth-round submission win over Carlos Galvan, 20-15 (19 KOs). Before the fight against Galvan Boxing News caught up with Smith in Birmingham to get his thoughts on a potential fight against Buatsi, 19-0 (13 KOs).
“For my part, that fight makes sense to me,” he said.
“He’s the interim WBO world champion, so that puts me closer to where I want to be.” I think I’ve shown throughout my career that I’m willing to fight anyone as long as it gets me closer to where I want to be, which is a two-division world champion. A win over Joshua Boissy gets me closer than probably a win over anyone else, so it makes sense to me.
“If there is a possibility for that fight to happen, then I’m here for it.” I’m not sure from his side whether I’m the best option for him or he has other options, I’m not really sure.”
After losing to Beterbiev, 21-0 (20 KOs), who defeated Dmitry Bivol, 23-1 (12 KOs), in October to become the undisputed champion at 175 pounds, Smith was unsure if he would fight again. If he decided to come back, albeit after relegation, it had to be against someone who would motivate him and get the juices flowing. BN asked if Buatsi ticks that box.
“He has something that benefits me now, he’s the WBO interim world champion who could potentially be promoted to full champion or if not next in line for undisputed champion when the time comes,” he replied. “He is in a very good position, he has something that benefits me.” Definitely makes sense to me and definitely gets the juices flowing. It’s a home fight, he’s a good fighter, someone I appreciate and respect, but a fighter I believe I beat the odds. We’ll see what 2025 brings.
Buatsi was last in action against Willie Hutchinson who hit the canvas twice during the fight at Wembley Stadium in September. Despite the Scot’s dogged effort, he eventually lost a split decision to Buatsi.
“I believe the results were a little harsh,” Smith said. “I believe he won a little more convincingly.”
“I’ve seen enough of him over the years to know he’s a good fighter.” I rate him highly, but he is a fighter and I believe I definitely beat him. And I believe that the best version of me can beat anyone in the world, and that definitely includes Joshua Boissy.