Vergil Ortiz Jr. reacted on social media to Jeron ‘Boots’ Ennis’ decision to not accept a fight against him on February 22nd. Ortiz Jr. (22-0, 21 KOs) let his followers know that it wasn’t his fault that the fight with Ennis (33-0, 29 KOs) didn’t happen.
Was Ennis serious?
Fans are criticizing Boots for putting 147 on the docket to negotiate a fight with WBC Interim Junior Middleweight Champion Vergil Jr., suggesting he was never serious about fighting him.
There was no way Ortiz, 26, was going to stop fighting Boots at 147 without risking his health. Ortiz moved up to 154 as he had health issues in 2022, dropping to 147. That was the last year he fought in that division.
It’s unclear whose idea it was on Boots Ennis’ team to list 147 as the weight for the Virgil Ortiz Jr. fight. Ennis is promoted by Eddie Hearn.
Ideally, he should have dropped the idea to prevent the mess this episode caused because there was no way Vergil Jr. would agree to fight in 147.
Did Team Ennis believe that Vergil Jr. agreed to the weight of 147 because the money would be good and the amount of attention the fight would get if they fought on a loaded card on February 22nd in Riyadh? In other words, were they testing Vergil to see if he was gullible enough to agree to this weight?
If Vergil had agreed to fight at 147, it would have given Boots Ennis a huge advantage, fighting a weakened, skeletal Vergil Jr., who would have been exhausted and helpless due to the weight.
This whole episode hurts Boots Ennis’ popularity because he should have known better. The only way this fight could have happened was if Boots moved up to 154 to challenge Virgil Jr. for his interim WBC belt. Ennis should have agreed to it because, as things stand now, he is considered to be slipping.
Boots’ promoter Eddie Hearn said he wants to stay at 147 and unify the division. He doesn’t want to give up his IBF light heavyweight title. He shouldn’t have bothered to negotiate with Virgil Jr. if that was the case.
Statement by Virgil the Younger
I’ve always said I’ll fight anyone and I’ve stayed true to my word. Every person I was offered to fight I said yes. It takes 2 to tango in boxing, so if I’m not in that ring and I’m fighting someone, know that it’s not my fault! It’s time for some of you to stop saying I’m…
— Virgil Ortiz Jr. (@VergilOrtiz) November 30, 2024